In January of 2019, GWA upper school students had opportunities to gain real-world experience or study non-traditional topics during a three-week intensive winter term titled "Dawg Days."
During this time, students took a departure from their regular courses and curriculum and had the choice to participate in one of the following options from January 7-25:
Cool Courses (9th-12th grades)
A complete course catalog is available HERE.
Internships (11th and 12th grades)
Travel (10th-12th grades)
- Students who have completed our Global Health course in the fall will travel to Belize to work alongside Duke University and Johns Hopkins University medical fellows in rural Belize, offering basic medical care to the local population.
- Contact: Holly Atkinson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Close-Up (Washington, D.C.)
- “Immerse yourself in all that Washington, D.C. has to offer and explore the famous monuments, world-renowned museums, and hallowed institutions that define our past, inspire our present, and impact our future. Using D.C. as a living classroom, students will make personal connections with the people, institutions, and iconic sites that embody our nation’s past and present. Through meaningful conversations with students from across the country, this program helps young people find their unique voice.” Learn more.
- Contact: Wrynn Carson, email@example.com
- High school history students will go on a tour of historical sites surrounding our nation’s founding through the American Civil War. Highlights include Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Appomattox, UVA, and much more!
- Contact: Katherine Meeks, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish Exchange
GWA students who hosted our Spanish students in the fall will travel to Barcelona to stay with a Spanish family and attend classes at our partner school, St. Paul’s.
Contact: Femke Côté, email@example.com
*And note that an additional opportunity will be offered for the Summer of 2019:
Photography and science trip through EF Tours – more details to follow.