Lower School STEM Teacher
George Walton Academy (GWA) provides challenging instruction, engaging experiences, and global perspectives designed to inspire lives of intellectual curiosity, integrity, and purpose. GWA is an independent, Pre-K-12, independent, college-preparatory school located on 61 beautiful acres in Monroe, Georgia, less than one hour from the state capitol of Atlanta.
George Walton Academy seeks a lower school STEM teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. This teacher will work closely with the lower school teaching team to create interdisciplinary and engaging experiences for students.
• Teach grades Kindergarten through 2nd grade as a special area class
• Teach grades 3rd-5th as a STEM academic class
• Create lesson plans for STEM learning activities and monitor student progress
• Support classroom teachers with implementation of science curriculum and STEM projects.
• Plan, prepare, and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences
• Create and sustain a positive classroom culture, based on the mission and values of the school
• Observe/evaluate/assess students’ development and maintain accurate records regarding student progress and areas of growth
• Complete additional duties as assigned, including carpool
Exceptional Candidates Will
• Demonstrate an approachable, consistent, transparent, supportive, and good-humored posture
• Communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing, with colleagues and individuals inside and outside the school
• Demonstrate a passion for sharing best practice pedagogy in the field, especially inquiry-based curricula
• Be patient and positive and find joy in the journey of promoting a lifelong love of learning
• Possess a philosophy of education that aligns with the school’s mission and vision
Qualifications and Screening Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
• 3+ years of teaching (or related) experience, preferably within independent schools
• Experience with a broad range of instructional practices
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Criminal background check
Please send cover letter and resume to HR Manager, Jeanie Beach firstname.lastname@example.org