George Walton Academy (GWA) is a K4 to grade 12 independent school located on more than 60 acres in beautiful Walton County, Georgia. GWA is a leading college preparatory school that prepares students to become contributing citizens in a global society by promoting intellectual, physical, artistic, and ethical excellence.
Position Available: Director of College Counseling
George Walton Academy is seeking a highly experienced Director of College Counseling to support our students and families through the transition from high school to college. This is a 12 month position. The Director of College Counseling will report to the head of school but will also work closely with other administrators in support of our students and families throughout the college admissions process. The primary responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a four-year plan for educating our students and families on all aspects of the college search and admissions process.
- Meeting with and advising students and families individually and in small groups as they go through the college admissions process.
- Writing personal letters of recommendation for students.
- Maintaining active membership in appropriate professional organizations.
- Representing the school positively to external audiences.
- Creating and maintaining appropriate resources for students and their families.
- Collaborating with other team members to develop and implement thoughtful and innovative college counseling strategies.
- Staying abreast of current admissions and college counseling trends.
- Participating in campus visits and tours.
- Maintaining a working relationship with college admissions professionals, visiting college and university campuses on a regular basis.
- Coordinating and preparing regular mailings and electronic communication to parents with the school’s communications team.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a minimum of seven years of college counseling or college admissions experience.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and attention to detail and deadlines.
- Have a clear understanding of the selective college admissions and financial aid environment.
- Be familiar with Naviance and other educational software.
- Hold an advanced degree in an appropriate field.
All interested and qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Elizabeth McDonel at firstname.lastname@example.org.